There are about 10,000 species of ants in the world, but only 9 species are common in Singapore. These are:
- Kerengga or Weaver Ant (Oecophylla smaragdina)
- Rambutan or Fruit Ant (Dolichoderus thoracicus)
- Ghost or Sugar Ant (Tapinoma melanocephalum, Tapinoma indicum)
- Pharoah Ant (Monomorium pharaonis)
- Singapore Ant (Monomorium destructor)
- Big-headed Ant (Pheidole spp.)
- Crazy Ant (Paratrechina longicornis)
- Fire Ant (Solenopsis spp.)
- Garden Ant (Pheidologeton spp.)
You can identify ant species by their colour and size.
Because of its foraging activities in all sorts of places, the ant carries pathogens on its body before it crawls all over your food, thus exposing you to intestinal upset.
How do you know you have an infestation?
You will find:
- Live foraging ants
- Active ant trails
- Ant nests/mounds
What can you do to prevent an infestation?
Remove all exposed food sources. If this is not possible, keep food in tightly sealed bags and containers. Quickly clean up spilled water and sweet drinks.
How can we help you?
Spraying a can of insecticide bought at a supermarket will give instant relief but in reality it only kills foraging workers, that merely form 10% of the colony.
For sustained ant management we need to target the source. Our Aardwolf Pestkare Technicians will use specialised baits and our time-tested expertise to eradicate the ant colony for you.