There are about 10,000 species of ants in the world, but only 9 species are common in Singapore. These are:
- Kerengga or Weaver Ant (Oecophylla smaragdina)
- Rambutan or Fruit Ant (Dolichoderus thoracicus)
- Ghost or Sugar Ant (Tapinoma melanocephalum, Tapinoma indicum)
- Pharoah Ant (Monomorium pharaonis)
- Singapore Ant (Monomorium destructor)
- Big-headed Ant (Pheidole spp.)
- Crazy Ant (Paratrechina longicornis)
- Fire Ant (Solenopsis spp.)
- Garden Ant (Pheidologeton spp.)
You can identify ant species by their colour and size.
Because of its foraging activities in all sorts of places, the ant carries pathogens on its body before it crawls all over your food, thus exposing you to intestinal upset.