The 3 most common cockroach species in Singapore are:
- American Cockroach (Periplaneta Americana)
- Brown-banded Cockroach (Supella longipalpa)
- German Cockroach (Blatella germanica)
American Cockroaches are reddish brown and 34-53 mm long. Brown-banded Cockroaches and German Cockroaches are both light to darker brown. The Brown-banded Cockroaches are smaller in size, at 11-14.5 mm long.
Cockroaches pose a health hazard and transmit diseases cholera, diarrhoea, dysentery and gastroenteritis.
How do you know you have an infestation?
You will find:
- Adult cockroaches and nymphs active at night as they are nocturnal
- Oothecae (egg casings), which are reddish brown in colour
- Black faecal droppings at aggregation areas such as on door/cabinet hinges or corners
- Distinctive odour, especially for American Cockroaches
What can you do to prevent an infestation?
Regularly inspect paper-based materials, e.g. old newspapers, carton boxes. All food sources should either be removed, or kept in tightly sealed bags and containers. A regular pest control program with Aardwolf Pestkare will ensure you do not have to worry about encroaching cockroaches!
How can we help you?
Eliminating cockroaches requires a multi-pronge approach. As Pest Management Professionals, we will locate and physically remove cockroaches, treat the sewers and manholes, place baits, and install monitoring stations.