Identifying Rats and Mice
There are 4 main species of commensal rodents in Singapore:
- Norway Rat (Rattus norvegicus)
- Roof Rat (Rattus rattus diardii)
- Polynesian Rat (Rattus exulans)
- House Mouse (Mus musculus)
While mostly greyish brown, they can be identified by the length of their tail, size of their ears, physical size and droppings.
Norway Rats tend to be the largest at 163-265 mm long and produce the largest droppings. Roof Rats are smaller at 125-205 mm long and have tails longer than their combined head and body. Polynesian Rats are even smaller, usually reaching 150 mm in length. In contrast, House Mice are the smallest at 60-90 mm long and produce the smallest droppings.
Rats and mice are associated with diseases such as plague, murine typhus, salmonellosis, leptospirosis and hanta virus.
With the help of digital technology we will install a wireless mini-video camera that is activated when an intruding rat enters a building, anytime of the day.
The activity is then recorded and a message is sent to the Aardwolf Pestkare Technician's mobile phone. He will immediately attend to the incursion, which can be replayed for viewing.
How do you know you have an infestation?
You will find:
- Live rats & mice. As they are nocturnal, it is a sign of heavy infestation if you see them during the day
- Droppings ranging from 3 mm to 20 mm long
- Gnaw marks at the edges of doors, cartons, food and wires
- Blackish smear marks along edges of walls or pipes, caused when they run along these surfaces
- Noise in the roof or false ceiling
What can you do to prevent an infestation?
Maintain good housekeeping to reduce hiding places for rats and mice. You can also regularly inspect your garden or compound for rat burrows. Cleaning up food debris will reduce the chances of rats and mice intruding in their search for food. Trim tree branches to prevent them from touching the building so that Roof Rats cannot gain access to the building.
How can we help you?
As Pest Management Professionals, we will place traps, baits, and monitoring stations. We will also eliminate burrows and assist to rodent-proof gaps and entry points where possible, so as to prevent your problem from recurring.